Women in the Studio National Accelerator Program
About the Program:
According to a recent study, women held only 2% of all producing positions across the 2020 Billboard Hot 100 songs. The same study found that the ratio of men to underrepresented women in producing was 180 to 1, and that women earned only 33 producing credits in six years (with only 9 going to women of colour).
Music Publishers Canada is committed to helping right this imbalance. Women in the Studio is a national accelerator now in its third year that offers a series of curated production-related opportunities and networking experiences to women-identifying producer-songwriters from across the country.
The Plan for 2021:
The program will launch virtually in May 2021 with eight exceptional candidates from across Canada. It will include interactive group webinars, while also offering customized 1:1 tutorials which allow us to specifically address the unique needs of each participant.
Women in the Studio National Accelerator Program Goals:
- Provide access to industry mentors
- Curate bi-monthly virtual sessions with guests from various sectors of the industry
- Share tips & tools for building and developing a professional profile
- Facilitate hands-on technical workshops and entrepreneurial training sessions
- Offer networking opportunities to broader their contact base of collaborators, potential employers & business partners
- Build community by creating a national network of women-identifying producers, including program alumnae
- Encourage peer-to-peer collaboration and learning
- Develop entrepreneurial business and soft skills
- Encourage community participation through volunteer activity.
We welcome applications from individuals who have been historically underrepresented in producing spaces and who remain so today, including women, gender fluid, non-binary and gender non-conforming people.
To qualify, the candidate must be a mid-level working producer-songwriter able to provide discography and a streaming link to 3 examples of their work, and must also be a Canadian resident (and able to provide proof of residency).
Applications will be accepted online until Friday, March 26, 2021, and can be submitted either by the candidate directly, or on behalf of a candidate (as long as you’ve confirmed that the candidate is interested and able to participate in all aspects of the program). Candidates must also be able to provide a short bio, streaming link(s) to 3 examples of their production work, discography as well as provide a sense of how this experience will be beneficial to the candidate.
Applications are reviewed by an external committee, and selected candidates will be invited to proceed to an interview. Only successful candidates will be contacted by Music Publishers Canada.
Application deadline: Friday March 26, 2021.
Questions about Women in the Studio? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.